Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cataract City covers / PhD a-startin'

Hello All,

Well, I thought I'd show you some of the foreign Cataract City covers that are trickling in. They all take a different tack on the book's narrative. I think they're all cool.

But first, my son Nick shows some love for the Canadian edition:



He's a big reader ... The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Each Peach Pear Plum, etc. This is a little higher-level for him, but his glasses (he's a little farsighted) have convinced him that he's very erudite and ready to tackle grown up literachurr.

Here's the US cover, coming next year from Graywolf:


It's got the bases covered nicely: wrestling, prison, greyhound racing. A cool geometric approach to things. Thanks to Ben Percy for the quote, too!

The UK cover, which I may have posted eons ago, coming next year from Atlantic UK:


So, the two main characters as boys. I like this one a lot, too.

In other news, I'll be heading over to the UK tomorrow to start my PhD in Creative Writing at the University of Birmingham. It's distance ed, so I'll only be there 2 weeks every year and the rest I can do from home. It's a 3-year program and it allows me to more or less live the life I'm living now, in Canada with my fiancee and our son, so hopefully the status quo will continue apace. I would like to say that I'm going to see a lot of England, but I'm likely to be holed up in my room, writing furiously to finish the second book of a contract. But surely I'll get out for a pint at a pub the odd night. I'll miss my family terribly, of course, but Colleen's Mom is coming to town to help out while I'm gone, seeing as she's back at school pursuing her Master's of Social Work. Busy times at the ole hacienda.

I'll finish with a video that I found on the memory card holding the pics of Nick, seen above. In it I'm drinking a beer (it's past noon, I swear!) and reading a book to Nick. I have a habit of changing the narrative of these kid's books, sometimes poisonously so, not that Nicholas knows. Colleen tried to film me doing so, but I was wise to her ways ...


All best, Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment